I don't know why some vets are so uninformed but I have had seemingly
intelligent vets tell me that this or that cat had FIP because the cat had a
high titer for the corona virus. This is NOT FIP. Many cats get a corona virus.
Some actually become ill from it but with regular symptoms of illness - high
fever, anorexic, lethargic but not the usual fluid filled chest cavity that is
one of the signs of FIP (but could also be heart disease). FIP is not all that
common in cats, even in strays. The few cats I rescued with genuine FIP were
NOT FeLv+ or FIV+. It seems to me that vets want to blame every illness on cats
who are positive for one of the combo test disorders. Sometimes I suspect that
the vets want to give us a reason to dispose of the cat without having a guilty
conscience since it's "terminally ill" anyway. I had a cat with a high titer
for the corona virus. She was diagnosed with FIP. What she had was a high
fever. She had a miscarriage (pregnant
 stray calico, very friendly) in my backyard. She was burning up with fever.
They said to have her euthanized. I said no. They said FIP, I said no. She had
to be spayed on an emergency basis because the rest of the fetuses were not
alive. They returned a live almost bald skeleton cat to me and told me she had
about a 10% chance of living through the week because she had FIP. I said she
did not have it. Took home Buttercup, syringe fed her for almost a month. Flea
combed her every day in the isolation room she inhabited in my house. She began
eating on her own after a month. Her fur grew back. She began high-jumping
after bouncing balls. She grew fat. I took her back for her rabies shot and vet
was astonished. Said she had recovered from FIP. I said she had recovered from
a corona virus infection. She was eventually adopted.My FeLv+ cats never had
FIP. Some actually fought off the FeLv virus and now test negative. Two passed
away from the disease when it
 became active.