Thanks so much Sally---I'm just printing off and about to read your
email. I know it's going to be very very helpful. Kerry

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2005 1:51 PM
To: felvtalk@vlists.net
Subject: Re: need ideas for appetite stimulant for Levi

Dear Kerry:

The cypro I got for Purrla from another rescuer was prescribed by a vet,
but
you might check with some of the online pharamacies like
InternetVets.com or
The Pet Shed (one Nina suggested to me, so she could give you the
e-address),
etc. as sometimes it is possible to get Rx items w/o a prescription, or,
if
you've consulted with a vet about Levi already, they may be willing to
approve
your order.

Considering that Levi is a feral and handling him an issue, I will warn
you
that the cypro is really gnarly...Purrla gagged and frothed at the mouth
and I
had to syringe water down afterwards in a hurry.  If I had not had her
wrapped
in a towel like a mummy I could not have gotten it down her.  It is an
antihistamine and it did ease her nasal congestion and she was prompted
to begin
eating on her own again.  But she just had a URI and was not anemic.

Pica is, most often, a sign of anemia and anemia does cause loss of
appetite
Sometimes you can find something really smelly (like tuna and/or tuna
juice,
anchovy paste, herring or mackerel, and some rescuers who do a lot of
trapping
swear that KFC works like a charm at enticing wary feral into the trap)
that
will coax an anemic cat to eat on its own.  Have you tried making a
liver
shake for him? Sometimes giving PetTinic or HiVite drops which have iron
and
Bvites can help, but that usually involves being given by syringe.  I
can tell you
that Levi will NOT take the cypro unless you syringe it down him, and if
you
have to do that, you might as well mix some baby food (I use 2 tsp. baby
meat
to 1 tsp. strained veggies like carrots or squash) and Nutrical and add
some
PetTinic or Hi Vite drops and give that to him by syringe.

Sometimes BVite injections can stimulate appetite, but again, you would
have
to handle him to do that.  I really don't envy your dilemma.  I've
treated
many sick kittys but, thankfully, none of my ferals have been in need of
such
medical care.  It is a real problem because the more you have to handle
him to
get meds and/or food down him the less likely he will be to trust you
and become
socialized.  IN a life threatening situation, you really don't have much

choice.  You might try talking to him and tell him you are trying to
help him and
without your help me may not get well.  If you can't get through to him
on
your own, an animal communicator may be able to assist you in that
regard.  Be
forewarned, however, that he may be a very independent soul and may tell
you he
doesn't really care about getting better if it means he has to submit to
meds
and being force-fed...he may just tell you "Que sera, sera."  And then
you
have to decide whether or not to force the issue.

Sending out all the positive energy I can muster for you and Levi.

Sally in San Jose