<<<Okay, the difference between PCR and ELISA.... ELISA screens for antibodies (proteins) that are specific

for the FeLV virus. >>>>

There is some significant misinformation in the post you sent me.

The available ELISA tests for FeLV all screen for viral ANTIGEN, usually the core antigen p27. They are NOT antibody tests. Therefore, we do not get false positives in kittens born to FeLV positive mothers.

PCR testing is looking for viral genetic material. PCR is now popular as a means of detection of infectious diseases, but we have to remember that most of these tests are unvalidated, and are not independently verified. There are signficant issues with PCR that make it a difficult test method to get right. For example, PCR testing for FIV has turned out to be especially problematic, with some labs getting the right answer only 50% of the time! You could do just as well tossing a coin and save your money.

The in-clinic ELISA kits are good screening tests for FeLV, but a positive should be verified using IFA. I do not recommend using PCR as either a screening test or a confirmatory test at this time.

Dr. Susan
Chapter Author, A Home Veterinary Guide, in:
The CFA Complete Cat Book
http://www.cfainc.org/catalog/books.html#completecatbook

Feline Reproduction Manual:
http://catvet.homestead.com/ReproCD.html