Felv was discovered many years ago in many of the wild breeds.......lions, tigers, pumas, leopards etc.
There was a show on Animal Planet about it a long time ago.
The vets doing this study in the animal preserves put tracking collars on the positive cats to keep updated of their progress. Sadly, the disease is taking its' toll on the wild cats and the vets doing the study fear that unless a "cure" can be found, the disease will eventually lead to extinction of some of the breeds.
Some of the vets believe that Felv possibly originated in the big cats..........
I guess I should do some more research and see if the studies are still being conducted, and what, if any, "successes" have been accomplished.

Patti