Whoops, now I see a real problem with what I'm asking for.

I guess since the (hypothetical) withCString is creating
a new CString (bit like an IORef) it should have type

withCString :: String -> (CString -> b) -> IO b

It's still highly dangerous. When will the string be freed (no you can't rely on the garbage collector, because a CString is a Ptr and not a ForeignPtr; so the string has to be freed explicitly).

Assuming your type for withCString...

foreign import ccall foo :: CString -> Word32 -> Word32

main = do
        bar <- (withCString "Hello, world." foo) :: IO (Word32 -> Word32)
        print (bar 42)

OK, what does this do:
The first statement in "main":
*) Allocates a buffer for the string and pokes the string in there.
*) Binds the first parameter to foo (i.e., allocates a partial application (PAP) on the haskell heap).
*) Frees the string buffer.
The print statement:
*) calls the foreign function "foo" with the pointer to the already-freed (!) string buffer and the number 42 as arguments
*) prints the result

and I guess my <+ should be..
  (<+) :: (a -> b) -> ((a -> IO b) -> IO b) -> IO b
  f <+ alloc = alloc $ \p -> return $ f p

(Well at least that's got rid of the unsafePerformIO :-)

Would this be safe?

It would probably be safer than the version with the unsafePerformIO, but still:

foreign import ccall foo :: CString -> Word32 -> Word32

main = do
        bar <- foo <+ withCString "Hello, world."
        print (bar 42)

... same problem as above.

Cheers,

Wolfgang