On 2015-01-23 01:54, Timo Rothenpieler wrote:
+ ctx->encode_config.encodeCodecConfig.h264Config.maxNumRefFrames = avctx->refs;

avctx->refs should propably be checked for >= 0.

I'm not sure if maxNumRefFrames means the exact same thing as
avctx->refs, but the comment in the nvenc header isn't exactly clear
about that.

nvidia's encoder implementation does this mapping.

This would also forward the ffmpeg default, 1, to nvenc, instead of
the nvenc default, 0, which lets the driver decide what is best. I'm
not sure if this is desireable and how much it affects the quality.

Depends on what your consistency goal is. As long as 0 can be forwarded,
then you can always set it to 0 explicitly to request auto - and you can
argue that ffmpeg consistency (default ref frames of 1 is respected by all
encoders) is desirable.

--phil