On Wed, 4 Nov 2020, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

we have "millisecond" based formats, rounded timestamps
we have "exact" cases, maybe the timebase being 1 packet/frame per tick
we have "high precission" where the timebase is so precisse it doesnt matter

This here though is a bit an oddball, the size if 1 PCM frame is 1 sample
The timebase is not a millisecond based one, its not 1 frame either nor is
it exact nor high precission.
Its 1 video frame, and whatever amount of audio there is in the container

which IIUC can differ from 1 video frame even rounded.
maybe this just doesnt occur and each frame has a count of samples always
rounded to the closes integer count for the video frame.

The difference between the audio timestamp and the video timestamp for packets from the same DV frame is at most 0.3929636797*frame_duration as the specification says, as Dave quoted, so I don't see how the error can be bigger than this.

It looks to me you are mixing timestamps coming from a demuxer, and timestamps you calculate by counting the number of demuxed/decoded audio samples or video frames. Synchronization is done using the former.

But if for example some hardware was using internally a 16 sample buffer
and only put multiplies of 16 samples in frames this would introduce a
considerable amount of jitter in the timestamps in relation to the actual
duration. And using async to fix this without introducing more problems
might require some care.

I still don't see why timestamp or duration jitter is a problem as long as the error is below frame_duration/2. You can safely use async with min_hard_comp set to frame_duration/2.

In general, don't you find it problematic that the dv demuxer can return different timestamps if you read packets sequentially and if you seek to the end of a file? It looks like a huge bug which is not fixable if you insist on sample counting...

Regards,
Marton