On 2022-05-12 12:19 am, Anton Khirnov wrote:
Quoting Gyan Doshi (2022-05-11 14:18:49)

On 2022-05-11 05:26 pm, Anton Khirnov wrote:
Quoting Gyan Doshi (2022-05-10 13:40:54)
So far, -metadata:s:v rotate would only be applied to streamcopied
video streams.
Using -metadata for this functionality is a hack that should be removed,
not extended.
When there's a replacement for CLI users, sure.
Till then, there's no need for the disparity to be maintained.
I disagree. You are adding new behavior, which will need to be
maintained for backward compatibility and add extra burden on the person
who would want to implement this properly.

If you want this functionality, just add a new option. It's not that
hard. There's plenty of hacks in ffmpeg already, we don't need any new
ones.

All the current state does is force the user to run a 2nd remux command to set rotation. A new option for encoded streams creates a divergent syntax for no visible benefit.

If and when a display matrix can be user-specified, it will be easier to retire the metadata hack than to change the arg syntax of a newly added 'rotate' option.

Regards,
Gyan