On 02.07.2022 19:26, Nicolas George wrote:
It is already possible.

Yeah, I noticed that shortly after.
Never before thought to run ffmpeg.c without any inputs, but as long as you stick to -filter_complex instead of plain -filter, it works great.

But this device is not meant for ffmpeg.c alone.

It has been explained time and again that libavdevice is useful for
users of applications that are designed to expect a demuxer, to make
them use something more exotic than a demuxer.

I never doubted that, though in my case writing the input as a filter makes a ton more sense, cause filters are a lot better integrated with the whole hwaccel framework.

With this patch applied, it works via lavfi.c, but you have no control over the created hwdevice context.