On Fri, 15 Jul 2022, Swinney, Jonathan wrote:

If the max height is just 16, then this should be fine. I assumed that h could have a much higher value (>1024), but if that is not the case, then this is a useful optimization.

At least according to the me_cmp.h header, which says:

/* Motion estimation:
 * h is limited to { width / 2, width, 2 * width },
 * but never larger than 16 and never smaller than 2.
 * Although currently h < 4 is not used as functions with
 * width < 8 are neither used nor implemented. */

So with that in mind, I think this should be safe to do.

// Martin