On 12/20/2022 1:06 PM, Timo Rothenpieler wrote:

Generally, I don't see the advantage of this. The only decoder that
would benefit from it is SMVJPEG, yet for all other codecs it will just
involve more allocs+frees.

Being unable to support newer encoders because only the old (and I thought deprecated, but apprently not, given encoders are getting ported back to it??) is a pretty bad situation, and could hold back some progress.

Decoders. And what was deprecated and removed was the public API, not the internal callback. For 1:1 decoders, or decoders with no delay or buffering, the decoupled input/output callback is overkill, so you'll keep seeing new decoders added using the old one in the future. But similarly, new decoders can and will be added using the decoupled IO callback, so this change is necessary so any future decoder that intends to have frame threading isn't forced to use the old callback when it could benefit from the new. An obvious case would be the (hopefully) eventual native AV1 decoder.

So adding the ability for frame threading to work for everything seems natural and neccesary to me.

Yes.