On Tue, 26 Sep 2023, Anton Khirnov wrote:

Quoting Andreas Rheinhardt (2023-09-26 01:54:30)
It is of no value to the user, because every muxer can always
be flushed with a NULL packet. As its documentation shows
("If not set, the muxer will not receive a NULL packet in
the write_packet function") it is actually an internal flag
that has been publically exposed because there was no internal
flags field for output formats for a long time. But now there is
and so use it by replacing the public flag with a private one.

Is there any value for the callers in knowing whether flushing is a
no-op or actually does something?

Hypthetically, in theory, I guess one could make a case for that. But most of the codepaths where one use this anyway, one is pretty closely tied to the specific muxer one is using (usually mov/mp4 or maybe mkv), so in practice I don't think that's needed.

I don't remember there being a specific demand for that back when this was added, it was only a case of us not having internal flags at the time.

Conversely, I guess we could google for AVFMT_ALLOW_FLUSH and see if there's any public third party code that shows uses of the flag. A quick googling didn't find any uses outside of ffmpeg itself, except for one example on stackoverflow where the flag seems to be used in an invalid way.

// Martin