On Sun, Oct 29, 2023 at 04:35:35PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le 28 octobre 2023 21:01:57 GMT+03:00, Michael Niedermayer
> <mich...@niedermayer.cc> a écrit :
> >On Sat, Oct 28, 2023 at 07:21:03PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >> Hi ronald

> >> a quick reply here. I have not watched kierans presentation from demuxed
> >> yet.
> >> So theres absolutly no chance anything i wrote till now can be a respone to
> >> it.
> >
> >some more words about what the intend of this plan was, again not a respone
> >to any presentation of anyone else
> >
> >Donations from people vs companies: both really.
>
> I think Ronald's point is that you need to pick one, and clarify which it is,
> because as Ronald explained, it's unlikely that a *good* plan could address
> both (conversely a plan that tries to address both is probably poor and
> flawed).
>
> In other words, if you want to cover both cases, you need two separate plans.

you are correct, i agree here but this is a RFC so its not a final
plan.

i think for the donations from users the real question is how many
of our users can we reach to explain them that they are using FFmpeg
and a tiny donation would help us alot.
if thats only a few thousand users then this will not work

> And unfortunately, I do believe that Ronald is correct in pointing out that
> big companies will want oversight in exchange for money. This is very much
> counter to the current project setup, which (depending whom you ask) is
> governed by the GA, or by Fabrice Bellard through his delegates.
>
> This is not to say that these corporate wishes should or should not be
> accomodated. It is just an observation of those wishes.

if i look at spi.txt, it says
"SPI needs a contract in place which describes the work to be done. "

so if we have someone do some payed development work be that one time or
continous. There would be a contract that says what is going to be done.
That also would have been approved by the community or GA or whatver and
the company paying would have a say in whats in that contract, really
limited by what we are ok with and what the law allows

> >Peoples donations would only matter if we can increase awareness of people
> >using FFmpeg. We have over a billion users but they dont know it.
> >if each user gives us 1cent per year our sustainability is solved.
> >So driving awareness alone would solve this already, even if only 0.1%
> >of users would donate 10$ per year that would do.
>
> How do you plan to gain visibility from those billion users? Call me
> pessimistic but this has been a known problem for 20+ years, and I have yet
> to glimpse a credible solution.

It depends on the community. If the commuity wants to do it
Just look at some online service which annoy you telling you to disable a add
blocker
we could detect a specific usecase we intend to target and print a simple
message
once that will not annoy the user a 2nd time
This is very controversal and iam not sure if 99% are against it or find it
funny.
Iam just awnsering the "how it can be done" not saying iam in favor or against

[...]

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities
are wrong. -- Voltaire