On Thu, 22 Feb 2024, Allan Cady via ffmpeg-devel wrote:

I had a similar thought, as all timestamps would have the same issue.

This is my first contribution here, and I don't know the code very well, so I was being cautious. I'm open to expanding the scope, but I'm sure I would need some help doing it right and not breaking things.

For starters, I'm curious why there are two functions & macros:

av_ts2str/av_ts_make_string (which used "%" format specifier)

That takes a 64-bit integer timestamp and is actually using "%"PRId64 because that is the correct (portable) format string for an int64_t variable.

av_ts2timestr/av_ts_make_time_string (which used "%6g")

That takes an integer timestamp and a rational time base. Float timestamps (in seconds) is calculated by multiplying the two, that is what is printed.

Do you know the rationale for that? I see that only av_ts2timestr is used in
silencedetect.c.

And are you suggesting we should fold those two functions into one?

No, they have different purpose. The first prints out a timestamps which can be in any time base. The second prints out a timestamp in seconds.

I did notice something in the output from silencedetect. After I made my change, I see the output is now:

frame:92404 pts:53224175 pts_time:2413.79
lavfi.silence_start=2411.120272
frame:92411 pts:53228207 pts_time:2413.98
lavfi.silence_end=2413.992744
lavfi.silence_duration=2.872472

I see that the pts_time values still have the original formatting. I don't know what pts_time is, or where those lines are coming from. Seems like maybe those should have fixed precision as well.

Well, that is likely using the same function, but you only fixed silencedetect, right?

Guidance for a noob please? Thanks.

(P.S. Can you tell me, when I reply to the list (as opposed to patch submission using git send-email), how should I address the email? Obviously it should go to ffmpeg-devel@ffmpeg.org, but should I include you as a recipient, or as a cc:, or only to the list? or is there some other way it gets directed to you? Any other guidance on how to format email? Thanks.)

I don't think there is a rule, I have seen it happen both with or without CC. You don't need to CC me though, as I am a regular on the list, but others may have other preference.

Regards,
Marton

PS: Please avoid top positing in you replies.