On 2024-06-03 09:51, Martin Storsjö wrote:
Finally, I've also had a somewhat cursed thought about having a second always-hidden ftyp before the initial moov, which would then allow you to use the same file for progressive download and DASH/HLS streaming by using range-requests (e.g. via BYTERANGE) to skip the first ftyp + mdat header for the init segment and then using the fragments as normal. Though that goes beyond the scope of this patch, I just had to get it out there in case anybody thinks that might actually be fun to try :P

Oh, that sounds quite cursed indeed. I definitely can see the appeal of it :-) I guess it'd require some custom tooling to parse out the relevant byte ranges from it though (or maybe just listening to the avio marker callbacks?).

It would at least require the DASH/HLS manifest creation tooling to understand this hack and skip the first N bytes. As I said this is kind of a fun idea but maybe not entirely practical.

Anyway, Timo had thoughts about the name for this option/flag - do you have any suggestions to follow up with on that thread?

Not really, I think "hide_fragments" is fine. Though perhaps the flag's description could explain what it does in a bit more detail.

For OBS I settled on "Hybrid MP4" and calling the process of hiding the fragments a "soft remux", but the name of the flag should probably be a bit more technical.

~Dennis