On Wed, 13 Jan 2016, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 05:01:01AM +0300, Andrey Turkin wrote:
Why not use libzvbi's slicer? It should be pretty robust with
less-than-ideal signal.

Regarding your code - is there a need to calculate a frequency? I did
something similar a while back with VBI from TV signal and in my experience:

a) this kind of frequency/phase estimation doesn't work that well on a
noisy signal.

 b) there's really no need to estimate frequency - it's a known constant
(well it depends on a standard but in each standard it is a constant) and
generators usually don't deviate from it; you just need to get a good phase
estimation based on, say, local maxima/minima of run-in bits.

to calculate the phase

[...]

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions, I have learned a lot from it. The reason why I did not use libzvbi was not licensing, I simply wasn't sure at first that this can be done conveniently with it, and instead of checking the docs, writing it from scratch was more fun.

Anyway, now I know that I can almost seamlessly replace the teletext_qunatizer stuff with libzvbi's vbi_bit_slicer, so I will rework the patch series to use that. The higher level interface of libzvbi - vbi_raw_decoder seems too high level (bloated) for my use case.

As for the licensing, I believe now that libzvbi is LGPL because it references the GNU Library General Public License wich is the predecessor of the LGPL, so I will submit a patch to remove the GPL depdendency from libzvbi as well.

Regards,
Marton