On 02/27/2016 03:11 PM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 02:58:39PM +0100, Mats Peterson wrote:
And yes, QuickTime has a "default palette" for each bit depth that it can
use, and no palette will be stored in the video sample description in that
case. But that's only sensible to use for 1 bpp black & white or 8 bpp
grayscale (and that's what I'm doing in movenc.c), since in other cases
comparing each color of the current palette with the default Macintosh
palette is a bit of overkill in my book.

It's 256 comparisons to save 1 kB.
It's not a big deal, but it seems like fairly cheap optimization to do.

Perhaps so. But it's no big deal to include the palette either, I think. 1 kb isn't a humonguous amount nowadays. To each his own, of course :) Most of the time the palette won't be the default Macintosh palette either, when converting from AVI or from other sources and pixel formats.

Mats