On 14/09/2016 16:34, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
[...]
If a supported Linux distribution does not ship a sufficiently
recent sdl2, I am not sure if this is such a good idea.
Does the patch offer new functionality?
It doesn't add any extra functionality, but SDL1 has been unmaintained for more than 4 years. We discussed this in IRC and thought that ffmpeg was a big enough library, and it switching to SDL2 may help distros to consider supporting SDL2, also taking into account the length of time SDL1 has been unmaintained. Another option is just to compile SDL2 from source.

--
Josh