On Fri, 15 May 2015 23:04:06 -0500, John L <orionf...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>rips.
>
>It all boils down to:
>ffmpeg -i [input-file] -ac 2 -c:v libx264 -c:a libmp3lame -b:v 1024k -preset
>fast [output-file]
>
>I was under the impression everything was hunky dory until I took a bunch of
>the shrunken movies on my phone on a roadtrip. A good many of the videos were
>as good as can be expected, and nothing was egregiously wrong. However on a
>few videos the audio was absolutely atrocious, blown out, clipping, and just
>noise from seemingly nowhere.
>
>One of the worst was Intersteller which was completely unwatchable after the
>first two minutes with all the blown out crescendos, pops, cracks, static, and
>voices of the deep adulterating the audio stream. All video files affected by
>this were 5.1DTS sources, but not all 5.1DTS were affected.
>
>When talking with my father he said it was a frequent enough occurrence that
>he suspected it was just because I had shrunk the file so small and was an
>artifact of that. He did confirm that most videos that were affected weren't
>as bad as the Interstellar conversion.
>

>------------------------------------
>~/testing$ ffmpeg -version
>ffmpeg version 2.5.6-0ubuntu0.15.04.1 Copyright (c) 2000-2015 the FFmpeg
>developers
>built with gcc 4.9.2 (Ubuntu 4.9.2-10ubuntu13)
>configuration: --prefix=/usr --extra-version=0ubuntu0.15.04.1
>--build-suffix=-ffmpeg --toolchain=hardened --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
>--shlibdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --incdir=/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu
>--enable-gpl --enable-shared --disable-stripping --enable-avresample
>--enable-avisynth --enable-ladspa --enable-libass --enable-libbluray
>--enable-libbs2b --enable-libcaca --enable-libcdio --enable-libflite
>--enable-libfontconfig --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi
>--enable-libgme --enable-libgsm --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmp3lame
>--enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-libpulse
>--enable-libschroedinger --enable-libshine --enable-libspeex --enable-libssh
>--enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvorbis --enable-libwavpack
>--enable-libwebp --enable-lib
> xvid --enable-opengl --enable-x11grab --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libiec61883
> --enable-libzvbi --enable-libzmq --enable-frei0r --enable-libvpx
> --enable-libx264 --enable-libsoxr --enable-gnut
> ls --enable-openal --enable-libopencv --enable-librtmp --enable-libx265
>libavutil      54. 15.100 / 54. 15.100
>libavcodec     56. 13.100 / 56. 13.100
>libavformat    56. 15.102 / 56. 15.102
>libavdevice    56.  3.100 / 56.  3.100
>libavfilter     5.  2.103 /  5.  2.103
>libavresample   2.  1.  0 /  2.  1.  0
>libswscale      3.  1.101 /  3.  1.101
>libswresample   1.  1.100 /  1.  1.100
>libpostproc    53.  3.100 / 53.  3.100
>------------------------------------
>
>To troubleshoot I copied out a particularly bad snippet of audio
>ffmpeg -i Int*.mkv -vn -c copy -ss 1:30 -t 0:30 inter.dts

Yes. That snippet has about 6 tracks.
Some of them are clipping (all on their own).

>This audio clip is confirmed to be a good 5.1dts stream

Good? Well OK -)

>ffmpeg -i inter.dts -ac 2 -c libmp3lame inter-test.mp3
>This audio sample has the exact same audio defects as in the shrunken video

Correct. All tracks (some of which had reached maximum encodable
levels) are now being added/summed into 1 single (now) overloaded
stream.

Instead, take the 5.1 and _DOWNMIX_ all tracks to a single stereo for
the phone/tablet by declaring -acodec xxxx -ac 2. No intermediate
steps should be required. Consider also - Do you need pcm_s32le ?
pcm_s16le is usual.