On Sun, 26 Feb 2017, Katherine Frances wrote:

Hi all,

When transcoding to H.264 from an interlaced 4:2:2 original, I always add
the flag *-pix_fmt yuv420p*, which obviously achieves two goals:
i. Chroma subsampling scheme: 4:2:2 -> 4:2:0
ii. Scan: interlaced -> progressive.

I'm interested in the *p* part of the flag. Can anyone tell me how the
deinterlacing is achieved, i.e., what filter is used here by default?
I searched around quite a lot, but couldn't find specifics on this in the
ffmpeg wiki, on the documentation, or elsewhere on the web.

p means planar here, not progressive. You are not doing deinterlacing.

Regards,
Marton