Hi Carl,

not what we absolutely need to help you:
Needs -async 1

Have a look at this part of the command line:

-filter:a " aresample=async=10000:min_comp=0.1:min_hard_comp=0.1:max_soft_comp=10000:first_pts=0"

This is what -async 1 does (-async is declared "obsolete").

I was under the impression that ffmpeg would automatically base the
synchronisation of the (single) audio stream on the (single) video
stream. Is this a correct assumption or do I need to specify an explicit
"-map" statement?

(After reading parts of your mail)
Unfortunately, it is not that simple:
Players can simply drop frames (or increase video playback speed)
for "missing" audio, this doesn't work with ffmpeg (the application),
silence has to be created and inserted.

Yeah, fine by me, I don't care.

As far as I understand:

- -vsync vfr just adjusts the timestamps
- -vsync cfr drops/dups frames, which is fine, no need to fiddle with the audio stream
- -async 1 (and variants) stretch/shrink audio samples
- asresample stretch/shrink/dup/drop audio samples

All of them are fine by me, although dupping/dropping video frames is preferred.

With vsync=1 is do see frame dropping/dupping taking place. The problem is that after each "desync" event, gaps in the transport stream that have timestamp discontinueties, audio and video get skewed just a little bit more, every gap makes them skew another ~100 ms.

So that's why I asked if the explicit "-map 0:v,0:a -map 0:a" (or another method) is actially required, to have the video synced to the audio (and not the to nominal frame rate, I think that is the actual problem).