> This works for me in the cmd shell on Win7:
>     type *.jpg | ffmpeg -f image2pipe -i - {encoding options) output.ext
> In any case, dir /b produces a listing. cat/type emit the data of the
> operands.

Thanks. This command line does the job. My problem was that I did not really
know what exactly 'cat' does.

In regard to the other comment: I knew that Cygwin is an option, but my main
intent is to completely automise standard operations, such that all my
colleagues can perform them without thinking about what happens exactly.
Installing Cygwin on each client computer in our network would make things more
complicated.

Thanks for your hints!
Wolfgang