On 02/04/2021 07:20 PM, Carl Zwanzig wrote:
On 2/4/2021 3:50 PM, Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) wrote:
For discussion: A better video notation.

Well, none of them go with the industry standards like 1920p30 or 480i29.97...

Those, more standard notations are where I began. But in order to differentiate between all the formats that are simply called "30i", for example, I had to start adding letters that just made it all too cryptic. A couple of days ago I realized that if I simply differentiated based on PPS (pictures per second), then it became relatively simple. I'm sure you'll agree that a 24PPS movie that's been hard-telecined and encoded as 29.9FPS is still 24 pictures/second.

... Consider that the main notation expresses resolution and frame/field rate of
the encoded video itself and isn't concerned with how those frames were
generated. It sounds like you're trying to express how something was
processed before being put into that encoding/container.

Yes! Exactly! When one is trying to recreate the original presentation, "how those frames were generated" is crucial.

For instance-
59.9SPS@29.9FPS       (aka "30i") NTSC broadcast TV interlaced to 29.9FPS.
480i29.97 is understood to be digital "NTSC" with non-square pixels and drop-frame rate. It's often shortened to "480i" since NTSC seldom occurs in the wild as non-drop-frame. Nothing else is particularly needed.

But it does occur in the wild. It's interlaced to frames, and players generally decomb it, but 59.9 scans/second set to 29.9 frames/second is very common, especially in special feature documentaries that are made for TV and later included on DVDs and BDs.

Later,

z!

--
I don't have a dog.