On Sun, 20 Jun 2021 at 13:28, <ibur...@compuscience.com> wrote:

> Now I want to create a new video by extracting the part that has the
> transition, with an additional second on each side, so I want to cut from 6
> to 12 and I use the following:
>
> Ffmpeg -ss 6 -i input.mp4 -to 6 -c copy output.mp4
>
> I expect a final video with 6 seconds, showing the transition starting at 1
> and ending at 5. Instead I get a video with 9 seconds and the transition
> seems to start at 5.

I'm no expert but have done similar things and this feels like it
might be a 'seeking while doing a codec copy' issue.

From the Wiki:

> Using -ss as input option together with -c:v copy might not be accurate since
> ffmpeg is forced to only use/split on i-frames. Though it will—if
> possible—adjust the start time of the stream to a negative value to
> compensate for that. Basically, if you specify "second 157" and there is no
> key frame until second 159, it will include two seconds of audio (with no
> video) at the start, then will start from the first key frame. So be careful
> when splitting and doing codec copy.

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Seeking#Seekingwhiledoingacodeccopy

I am happy to be corrected if off-base.

Incidentally, it is good practice to post full, uncut console output
when seeking help with ffmpeg usage here.

Cheers,
Rob