> On Mar 8, 2022, at 11:02 AM, Steven Kan <ste...@kan.org> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 8, 2022, at 10:32 AM, Michael Koch <astroelectro...@t-online.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Am 08.03.2022 um 19:09 schrieb Steven Kan:
>>> After 7.5 years of waiting, my banana plant is finally flowering! I want to
>>> do a time-lapse capture of the flowering and fruiting process. Due to its
>>> location, the easiest way for me to get a camera out there is to use a
>>> little WyzeCam v3 with the RTSP firmware and the Wyze lamp socket.
>>> Unfortunately the WyzeCam doesn’t (yet) have a externally accessible JPG
>>> snapshot feature, so I have a cron job set up to:
>>>
>>> ./ffmpeg -rtsp_transport tcp -i rtsp://anonymous:password@$IPAddress/live
>>> -frames:v 1 $outfile
>>>
>>> every hour. The results are OK, but not fantastic:
>>>
>>> https://www.kan.org/pictures/BananaTimeLapseFirstImage.jpg
>>> <https://www.kan.org/pictures/BananaTimeLapseFirstImage.jpg>
>>>
>>> Is there a way to tell ffmpeg to collect N frames of video and output one
>>> single averaged image to improve the SNR? Even if there’s some wind, the
>>> flower stalk shouldn’t be moving much.
>>>
>>> I tried:
>>>
>>> ./ffmpeg -rtsp_transport tcp -i rtsp://anonymous:password@192.168.1.39/live
>>> -frames:v 10 ~/BananaLapse/MultiFrame%03d.jpg
>>>
>>> and that results in N JPGs. I suppose I could have a second ffmpeg command
>>> that averages those 10 JPGs, but can this all be done in one pass? Thanks!
>>
>> You can use the "tmix" filter before you extract the images from the video.
>>
>> Michael
>
> Thanks! Can I get a little help on the syntax? Right now it’s still expecting
> to output multiple images:
>
> ./ffmpeg -rtsp_transport tcp -i rtsp://anonymous:password@192.168.1.39/live
> -frames:v 10 -vf tmix=frames=10:weights="1" ~/BananaLapse/MultiFrame.jpg

Ah, I think I figured it out. This works:

./ffmpeg -rtsp_transport tcp -i rtsp://anonymous:password@192.168.1.39/live -vf
tmix=frames=10:weights="1" -frames:v 1 ~/BananaLapse/MultiFrame.jpg

I now have the -vf first, which averages 10 frames into 1, and then -frames:v
expects only 1, correct? The output appears to be what I expect, with various
values of N:

https://www.kan.org/pictures/MultiFrame1.jpg
<https://www.kan.org/pictures/MultiFrame1.jpg>

https://www.kan.org/pictures/MultiFrame10.jpg
<https://www.kan.org/pictures/MultiFrame10.jpg>

https://www.kan.org/pictures/MultiFrame128.jpg
<https://www.kan.org/pictures/MultiFrame128.jpg>

And after all that I’m not sure it improves the image that much. I’ll check
again at night, when the SNR will get worse.

Thanks for the help!