On 2022-06-16 01:17 pm, Michael Koch wrote:

On 2022-06-16 12:45 pm, Michael Koch wrote:
I would like to understand why in some cases -loop 1 is required before the input files, and in some cases it can be omitted.

-loop option is specific to the image sequence demuxer. Without it, a single image input is a video stream of 1 frame length.

But why does this example work without  -loop 1? Is it an undocumented feature of the remap filter, that it keeps the last mapping file alive?
ffmpeg -i in.mp4 -i xmap.pgm -i ymap.pgm -lavfi [0][1][2]remap out.mp4

remap uses framesync which by default, repeats last frame of secondary input if primary input is still alive.

You would apply loop when you need to keep alive an image sequence input at a timestamp beyond its natural length, usually a fade. With the tpad or loop filters, this can be done inside a filtergraph instead of at the demuxer level.

Which method is better, -loop 1 before the input file, or doing it in the filtergraph?

For single image input, filter looping is better as it avoids file I/O and repeat decoding of the input.

Regards,
Gyan