On 21.09.22 19:06, Carl Zwanzig wrote:

On 9/21/2022 12:59 AM, Paul B Mahol wrote:
It could be that index for frames in AVI is not listing all entries.
Hard to guess.
You could inspect file in some AVI file format analyzer.
If there is such thing available.
In theory, avicodec will do it but it's quite old, same for vitrualdubmod
and gspot (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/), but then AVI format is also
quite old. I have used gspot before and it was useful, haven't tried it for
this purpose.

https://greshka.net/avicheck/ has some interesting suggestions, which
eventually land on.... "ffmpeg -v 5 -i FILE.avi -f null -" (decode to null
output, turn up the error reporting.

I'll echo Paul's thoughts that the AVI is somewhat corrupt, at least the
metadata is badly wrong. It's possible that by either poking the metadata to
"correctness" or ignoring a lot of errors, usable video could be pulled out.

Thanks Marc, Paul, and onemda!

I haven't had the time to do it, but I'll try those old tools. It they don't work, I'll even try to write some code to extract the missing frames. There must be a way to read them back!

Best,

Olivier