> can somebody explain why fmp4 currently does randomly break on seek  and/or
> quality change using VideoJS and other players, while mpegts works 100% fine?

I don't know that it's a FFmpeg problem, or just a problem with other streaming
formats than MPEG2. I also find that MPEG2-TS works most reliably, better than
MKV or other formats when streaming, when using both ffmpeg and gstreamer. I
have also switched to SRT from HLS, and found that it's a far better streaming
experience, more reliable with a much lower latency stream. Recommended!