On 1/7/24 17:34, Andrew Randrianasulu wrote:

Well, we (cinelerra-gg users/hackers/maintainers) run into aspect ratio
issues too , and I tried to demistify it for myself ... only to run into
much more complex explanation at

https://lurkertech.com/lg/pixelaspect/

I'm sorry, I couldn't get past the first sentence: "Pixels in the graphics world are
square."
They probably meant "dots" (aka "pels"). But I've read enough squirrely things in my time to know squirrely when I read it. My experience is that things that start squirrely get squirrelier.

Some video folks who are stuck in analog TV write about 704x480 and 704x576 and 10:11 SAR and 59:54 SAR, and they talk about overscan. It's all nonsense. DVDs are not TV and never was. So, folks with analog TVs didn't see 720x480 because some of it got into the horizontal blanking. So what? There were no such SARs as 10:11 & 59:54. "59:54" isn't right even if 704 existed.

Some of those people who write those squirrely things, and more, write them into standards. It's all still nonsense. What is it that you want to know?