On 17/07/2024 13.23, Oliver Fromme wrote:
Mark Filipak wrote:
  > What if there's no such thing as frame in the future? Just think about it.

What are you going to use instead?

Pels.

You somehow need to organize screen updates -- that is, when the
contents of the screen change.  You have to describe the change
somehow, and attach a time stamp to that change.
That's exactly what a frame is.

I respectfully say that frame is a relic of film frames carried over to other visual media. I respectfully claim that video doesn't have to be, and shouldn't be, serial photography by another name.

A video is just a sequence of screen updates.  No more, no less.
As every update is a frame, a video has to be a sequence of frames.

Does it? Frames are sequences of individually static pictures that are each populated by arrays of static pixels. Is there an alternative? Is there an alternative that would compress better? much better? Well, actually, I know of the alternative but, knowing that you're a smart person, I'd like you to think about what I write. I think that you thinking about alternatives is the only way you will see what I mean. I think that me telling you what I mean does not and will not work. The image of what I mean needs to be in your head, and I can't 'put' it there. Only you can put it there. That's the exciting part of communicating (which is what we're doing right now).

--Mark.

On a side note, time stamps don't have to be regularly spaced at a
fixed frame rate.  Some video codecs support variable frame rates
and/or frames with arbitrarily spaced time stamps.  FFmpeg is able
to handle and create such video.

Best regards
  -- Oliver