For a generic top-down traditionally-shaped sock (I've tried the toe-up kind and don't like 'em :), try <http://www.hjsstudio.com/sock.html> Yes, you need a gauge swatch, but that isn't the end of the world! This pattern can be used with any size yarn/needle once you do your gauge swatch. You do need measurements of the foot and ankle (also leg for knee socks), but they're not hard to take.

With a tiny bit more experience, you can make a knee sock. For a generic pattern that builds on the above to make a knee sock, see <http://www.hjsstudio.com/kneesock.html>

There's something VERY satisfying about wearing knee socks that really fit, especially in the winter while doing barn chores...that is, if we *had* a winter this year. This January's temperatures have been warm enough to feel like April throughout. And the lack of snow is a real worry, especially after last summer's drought and heat.

Holly
in NW lower MI, but you'd never know it from the weather!

To stop mail temporarily mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the message: set nomail  To restore send: set mail