Hello all, it has been a long time since I wandered this way.  Nice to see
some familiar faces.

I just finished the spinning of my grey wool and knitting a faroese shawl.

>"last very weird reaction was by a young Bedouin soldier , he
>asked politely waht i was knitting , than asked if he can take my photo on
>his Cellular , than phoned his mother sitting in her tent spinning and
>showed her my picture sitting in the train knitting
>mirjam"

Did he tell you what kind of spinning equipment she was useing, like spindle
or wheel?  My questioning of people has brought me to the conclusion that
traditionally singles were spun on a drop spindle and then often plyed on a
wheel.  A friend of mine remembers watching Bedu women spinning at wheels in
the 80s but, (tsk tsk)he didn't know enough to notice what kind of spinning
or the particulars of the wheels etc.

Have you been to the folk craft museum in Amman?  There is a wheel
contraption there next to a large loom.  A friend sent me pictures and said
it is labled as a spinning wheel.  I have my doubts.

cheers,
Turan

To stop mail temporarily mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the message: set nomail  To restore send: set mail