Hi Ron et al,

I actually wrote most of post yesterday and then killed it because I
wasn't sure it was clear. Well, I'll try again.

I'm spinning a single from pure bombyx silk. The diameter is too fine
for me to easily see the degree of twist in the single. When wheel
spinning, I usually measure twist that I can't see by doubling back a
fresh length and examining the twist of the 2-ply. (I keep a
reference standard handy for comparison.) However, I'm using a
handspindle for this project, and I don't have enough hands to hold
the spindle, hold the fiber, double back the single, and untwist the
2-ply back to the single after I've checked the twist.

Typically, any of the following will happen - the unspun gets caught
in the spun, the spindle drops, or the single breaks when I try to
straighten out the double-plied part. I've tried holding the spindle
between my legs, the silk in my mouth (pfeh! pfeh! I don't
recommend), etc, but I've not found a way that works quickly and
reliably. Until my hands "learn" this fiber, I'd like to check every
other armslength of yarn to ensure that it is consistent.

If you have suggestions about how to hold everything or a different
way to measure twist angles, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
June

To stop mail temporarily mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the message: set nomail  To restore send: set mail