Deborah wrote :

"I have spun a lot
of fleece from full sized Cheviots, from Scotland, from the US and from NZ. It varies an amazing amount in quality, fineness and luster."

Thanks so much, Deborah! I'll definitely find that issue of Spin Off, as well as find the book you've mentioned. My sheep are little Border Cheviots. They were originally registered "Brecknock Hill Cheviots" but the name was dropped from the registry since a connection to the REAL Brecknock Hill sheep in the UK could not be verified. They are small "old Style" Border Cheviots. I've been told that Cheviot wool has a distinct helical crimp, which it does... that must give it specific attributes, but I'm not aware of exactly what those are in comparison to other fibers, since my experience with other fibers is limited! As to what I'll do with the fiber...well, that depends on the fiber itself. I'll do whatever the fiber dictates! I've heard it is a long-wearing fiber... so -- socks??? I have some ideas for high-end show saddle pads for horses -- but not sure if Cheviot wool would be a good choice or not. My natural colored (true black and dilute) fleeces seem, in general, to be softer than the whites, which scour a true white -- should be fun to dye! Any info is appreciated! Thanks again!

Margot Grim
Grim's Faerytale Farm
Woodinville, WA

FREE online classifieds from Windows Live Expo  buy and sell with people you know http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwex0010000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://expo.live.com?s_cid=Hotmail_tagline_12/06

To stop mail temporarily mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the message: set nomail  To restore send: set mail