Bread -- What Christmas Is All About

December 5, 2015
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=17&ms=MjQxNTM3OTcS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=NzAwMzA3MDQ0S0&mt=1&rt=0>

Read: Luke 2:8-14
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=7&ms=MjQxNTM3OTcS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=NzAwMzA3MDQ0S0&mt=1&rt=0>
Bible in a Year: Daniel 1-2; 1 John 4
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=10&ms=MjQxNTM3OTcS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=NzAwMzA3MDQ0S0&mt=1&rt=0>
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=4&ms=MjQxNTM3OTcS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=NzAwMzA3MDQ0S0&mt=1&rt=0>

There were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over
their flocks at night. —Luke 2:8
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=6&ms=MjQxNTM3OTcS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=NzAwMzA3MDQ0S0&mt=1&rt=0>

Fifty years ago *A Charlie Brown Christmas* was first broadcast on American
television. Some network executives thought it would be ignored, while
others worried that quoting the Bible would offend viewers. Some wanted its
creator, Charles Schulz, to omit the Christmas story, but Schulz insisted
it stay in. The program was an immediate success and has been rebroadcast
every year since 1965.

When Charlie Brown, the frustrated director of the children’s Christmas
play, is discouraged by the commercial spirit of the holiday season, he
asks if anyone can tell him the real meaning of Christmas. Linus recites
Luke 2:8-14 including the words, “For unto you is born this day in the city
of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto
you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a
manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly
host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth
peace, good will toward men” (vv. 11-14 kjv). Then Linus says, “That’s what
Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.”

During this season filled with our own doubts and dreams, it’s good to
ponder afresh God’s great love expressed in the familiar story of Joseph,
Mary, the baby Jesus, and the angels who announced the Savior’s birth.

That’s what Christmas is all about. —David McCasland

*Father in heaven, as we approach Christmas, may we grasp in a deeper way
Your amazing gift to us.*

God broke into human history to offer us the gift of salvation!

*INSIGHT:* Two angels are named in the Bible: archangels Michael (Dan.
10:13; Jude 9; Rev. 12:7) and Gabriel (Dan. 8:16; 9:21; Luke 1:19, 26).
Angels appeared a number of times in connection with Christ's birth.
Gabriel appeared to Zacharias (Luke 1:11-20) and then to Mary, announcing
that she would become the mother of the Messiah (v. 26). An unnamed angel,
which most scholars believe was Gabriel, appeared three times in dreams to
Joseph (Matt. 1:20; 2:13, 19). Gabriel also announced the birth of Jesus to
the shepherds and, joined by a "multitude of the heavenly host," declared
glory to God (2:8-14).

Share your thoughts on today’s devotional on Facebook
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=22&ms=MjQxNTM3OTcS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=NzAwMzA3MDQ0S0&mt=1&rt=0>
or odb.org
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=17&ms=MjQxNTM3OTcS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=NzAwMzA3MDQ0S0&mt=1&rt=0>
.

Share With Your Friends
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=5&ms=MjQxNTM3OTcS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=NzAwMzA3MDQ0S0&mt=1&rt=0>
Featured
Video
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=9&ms=MjQxNTM3OTcS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=NzAwMzA3MDQ0S0&mt=1&rt=0>
[image:
Our Daily Bread Ministries]
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=17&ms=MjQxNTM3OTcS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=NzAwMzA3MDQ0S0&mt=1&rt=0>

Our mission is to make the life-changing wisdom of the Bible understandable
and accessible to all.

Our vision is to see people of all nations experiencing a personal
relationship with Christ, growing to be more like Him, and serving in a
local body of His family.

To read today's *Our Daily Bread* online visit www.odb.org
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=23&ms=MjQxNTM3OTcS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=NzAwMzA3MDQ0S0&mt=1&rt=0>
.

Copyright © 2015, Our Daily Bread Ministries, Grand Rapids, MI 49555 USA.
Written permission must be obtained from Our Daily Bread Ministries for any
further posting or distribution.

Scriptures taken from Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV®
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission.
All rights reserved.

USE INCREDIMAIL ONLY IN THIS GROUP
NO NUDITY ALLOWED
---