Progressive News & Views (since 1982)

L I F E and my brother (7)

    Life is pretty lousy for most of the people on the planet. Do you
    think those who are miserable all their lives, who like many on this
    planet live like animals, scavenging for morsels of food and a card
    board box or piece of tin for shelter, are as attached to their lives
    as much as we are? Do you think they would mind blowing themselves up
    if they thought in the after-life they would not be hungry? Surely
    this while not the primary reason for terrorism is certain motivation
    for some to volunteer to get out of this life.

    "Despite pledges made at three major international conferences on food
    since 1974, about 36 million people are still dying from hunger
    directly or indirectly every year, Jean Siegler, special rapporteur of
    the U.N.  Commission on Human Rights, said Monday.  Siegler, who
    authored the 15-page report, says that millions of people continue to
    suffer from hunger or are driven to early death from starvation and
    chronic malnourishment."
      * Thalif Deen, Inter Press Service English News Wire; 10/29/2002 -
        "U.N. says rich nations fail pledge to end world hunger"

    "Every seven seconds a child under 10 years of age dies from the
    direct or indirect effects of hunger. Malnutrition handicaps children
    for life -- brain cells do not develop, bodies are stunted, and
    blindness and diseases become rife." (Deen)

    "All this happens, he says, in a world that already produces more than
    enough food to feed the global population. "Hunger is not a question
    of fate; hunger is the result of human action or inaction," he adds."
    (Deen)

    Evolution is accepted by the most people and practically all
    scientists as much as theories can become fact when there is enough
    probability for it to be so and no other theory yet exists that would
    contradict it - so most of us accept that Charles was right and we are
    distant relatives of Lizards and more recent relatives of Chimpanzees.

    We even have a pretty good idea about our solar system and we're
    learning more all the time about the universe but it then gets to be
    too complicated to wrap our minds around when we think about the
    galaxy.

    We know light beams are bombarding us at 186,000 miles a second, from
    the sun which is 93 million miles away, where it is produced by
    nuclear fussion, which our scientists can produce for only a few
    seconds at a time, but not long enough to give us the energy of the
    sun which would be a lot safer than what is now produced by nuclear
    fission.

    We know that our body's cells are metabolizing sugar (glucose) to keep
    us at a constant temperature of almost 100 degrees, without which we
    would die.

    We know coffee keeps us more alert by constricting blood vessels with
    a stimulant called norepinephrine is it is good for keeping blood
    pressure regulated (according to a recent medical journal report) and
    it also works well at reducing headaches. Hell, it may even be as good
    for you as aspirin which we all should take at my age at least once a
    day to keep our blood thiner and reduce heart attacks.

    And we know that we are constantly being radiated by trillions of
    subatomic particles called neutrinos and it doesn't hurt. When I think
    about our planet speeding around the sun at more than half a million
    miles an hour and about how fast my body is spinning like a top
    because the earth is also spinning at about 18 miles a second and our
    solar system spinning through our galaxy at 140 miles a second, and I
    think a natural tendency would be to want to hold on to something to
    keep from falling, but gravity keeps me up, whatever that is - because
    we haven't exactly figured that one out yet. All of these things are
    known science and are predictable.

    It is even predictable that we will be hit by a rather large asteroid
    sometime in the _near_ future.

    Also predictable is entropy, that everything proceeds toward
    unpredictability, disorder and chaos.

    But where does our solar system expand to and what is this void? We
    even understand why we die and we have the tools to do something about
    it and someday we might even attain immortality just by growing organs
    that wear out and altering our DNA.

    My wife says why would we want to. You see when you get older you
    start thinking about dying and why that might not be such a bad idea.
    At least some do. I like myself enough to not want to even contemplate
    that thought but something it just creeps up on me and I'm thinking
    about it whether I wish to or not.

    We don't have the answers to a lot of questions. We keep on looking
    for them. That is because we can. Logical thinking started to improve
    when it became necessary for us to enable us to survive but the
    reality is we don't survive; we live though to enable our genetic code
    to survive, that book of knowledge we're just now deciphering that we
    all carry a copy of in our DNA.

    So what about the void? Why is it there and what is it? There is much
    we don't know but for certain there is nothing supernatural about
    life. It is just all about protoplasm.

    There are so many planets like ours that there must be other life.
    Maybe it is so far away we may never know of it? But it hardly seems
    possible that we are alone.

    Almost surely anything out there is not going to look like us because
    it would have had to adapt differently because of different gravity,
    temperatures, gases, etc.

    I use to think, or maybe want to think that we were reincarnated and
    my mother came back as my dog who I talked to and called mother for
    almost a year - but don't tell anybody please.

    Whatever the answers are, I'm glad to be here now. I'm glad my dogs
    are here and I'm glad for the relatively short time I get. I'd like to
    think it doesn't end the way it does, that dying is like going to
    sleep, but I know that isn't right and religion is not the answer.
    Religion is the reason people can cope, it is like Valium, but it
    isn't the answer. People kill each other over religion. People are not
    afraid to die because of religion. Is that a good thing? I don't think
    so.

    I know that life is precious. And I spend a lot of time thinking about
    it.  I think each of us has worth to someone else and I'm not so
vainglorius to think that as a species we are any better than other life
we share this world with.

I think everything/everyone is valuable. I no longer hunt. I think it is
wrong to kill anything in spite of what gorillas do to baby gorillas and
what George Bush has been doing in Iraq.

We must care about them, if we care about us.

  Maybe that is what
    it all means?

Hank Roth

To Be Continued...