Progressive News & Views (since 1982)

This is from another list.
Subject: Re: [zio-web] Fw: emotions and opinions

OPINIONS

I could have told you that (grin).

That is partially why I call this the InterNUT.

Those who are dedicated to positions have to get there on their own. It usually
comes from a higher level of despair, the result of personal experiences -
inequities that one experiences; oppression which one is a result of personal
experience or group experience. Access and denial of necessities; all of these
things harden views, NOT debates; not even cogent and seemingly logical
arguments.

As for research and information on the WEB, or any depository, when you can
find it, it is confirmation of already existing views that most are looking for
- not to be convinced. You are ALWAYS preaching to the choir, which is
sometimes very small - but still the choir (g).

Try defining empathy and altruism next. Empathy is something you don't
want happening to YOU. Altruism, is always about making you feel better
and often because you want to avoid those things happening to you also.

No one has proved the goodness of man (or women) and the best "theories" about
human nature are scientific, which means they are better than the general term
implies. Human nature is still hotly debated vis-a-vis nature versus nurture in
scienfic circles but behavior science has the weight of opinion NOW on the side
of E.O. Wilson - to the chagrin of many on the left, and the view in the field
of Genomics, the weight of opinion is toward the acceptance of the Dawkin's
theory of the "selfish gene" and the Prime Directives of all life is (1)
Reproduction and (2) survival (preservation of the species - and in the
microcosm of that is the survival of the individual) - which would most
definitely make altruism a luxury MANY CANNOT AFFORD, and only the well heeled
and privileged can so seemingly "magnanimously" afford, which is why MOST
liberals are well-to-do middle or upper class and NOT the masses - working
class (and underemployed and unemployed) - who are generally more antisemitic,
more reacist and the least interested in empathy and altruism or being confused
by the facts. You certainly aren't going to convince them of anything.

Give them a scapegoat and they'll rally around the idea. But when it
happens to them and it gets bad enough they may then be convinced to stop
supporting their own oppression - but only then.

Hank

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Ami Isseroff wrote:

> [This is an important factor for anyone interested in advocacy]
> Partisans not swayed by facts, study reveals
>
> By LEE BOWMAN
> Scripps Howard News Service
> 24-JAN-06
> http://www.shns.com/shns/g_index2.cfm?action=detail&pk=POLITICSBRAIN-01-
> 24-06
>
> A new study using functional brain imaging confirms what pollsters and
> consultants have believed for years _ debates and facts don't really
> sway the partisan opinions of hard-core Democrats or Republicans.

      -----
     / o o \
   Hank Roth's Place - http://pnews.org/