Tony Sleep wrote:

> > I have the same card, no photoshop and such and it also shows up through
> > vuescan followed by photoedits, where after
> > at-first-sight-not-so-ridiculous
> > sharpening I get magenta pixels in otherwise whitish skies.
>
> If from colour neg, this is characteristic of CCD noise (= inverted green
> channel noise). You may find some yellow too (inverted blue). If so, that
> would pretty much nail it.
>
> Vuescan seems to usually get more out of the shadows (on slides), but the
> risk is of also acquiring more CCD noise.

What I am experiencing is not noise, it is some weird posterization in
lighter areas (from slides or negs) which only occurs in 16 bit/channel
scans after I do levels adjustments in Photoshop.

After I told Diamond that using the generic nVidia Riva TNT drivers did
not resolve my problem, then sent me the "form email" message about
upgrades to newer video cards.  In other words, they've decided they
don't want to spend any more time on the issue with me, but they'll
willingly take some more money to provide me with another one of their
cards, which might have the exact same problem (if indeed it turns out
to be their card or drivers at fault, which I still haven't verified).

Yeap, on the good old merry-go-round again.

Art