The point of shooting a target is to make sure the scanner is in focus. An
out-of-focus scanner will do a good job at hiding the aliased grain. Also,
I'm not talking about truly underexposing the film. Exposing white paper at
2 1/3rd stops under what an incident light meter would say to expose at is
the same exposure as a gray card exposed normally. Another option (that
would yield the same exposure) is to use a spot meter on the white paper and
expose normally. This will yield the same number of photons reaching the
film as spot metering on a gray card.

  --Bob