In a message dated 9/27/2000 1:29:36 PM EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> In the last couple of days I have made some comparison scans using both
>  Vuescan (V. 6.1 beta 6) and Polaroid Insite (V. 4.5) on the same negs.

You might upgrade to VueScan 6.1.1, although there aren't
any sharpness differences from beta 6 (or any other beta).

>  When
>  comparing the scans in Photoshop viewed at 100%, it seemed that the Vuescan
>  scans were clearly sharper.  The Polaroid Insite ones needed USM at approx.
>  150/1.5/1  to achieve the same apparent sharpness.  I used both scanning
>  programs with no sharpening selected.

Are you sure you have focus turned on in Insight?  It uses basically
the same focusing commands as VueScan does, so there really
shouldn't be any difference in focus.

You should be able to hear when the focusing happens.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick