Barbara wrote:

> Local camera store recommended the new Minolta
> Dimage Scan Elite 2,820dpi input resolution and
> questioned why I'd need 4000dpi. I will be mainly
> scanning negatives to produce digital art.

I have the Elite.  It's a nice scanner.  What resolution you need
depends on both the quality of your originals and the intended use of
the scans.

Certainly, on some old snaps taken years ago on a cheap camera, the
2820 resolution of the Elite is more than sufficient to pull off all
the detail on the film.  However, with one of my wife's shots taken
using a razor sharp lens on Kodachrome 64, there was clearly some
detail still not captured.

I have 192mb of ram and this seems adequate (although not ideal) for
handling full res scans from the Elite in Photoshop.  Even if you
decide on the Elite, your 128mb of ram is unlikely to be adequate.  If
you go for an ss4000, the consensus appears to be that 512mb is a good
starting point!

I note from your webpage that you offer your clients the facility for
images to be produced at up to billboard size.  I know opinions will
differ on this (especially given the normal viewing distance for
images of this size) but the extra resolution of the ss4000 might be
an advantage for this sort of work.

Al Bond