Austin Franklin wrote:

> > I didn't mean to insult anyone and I apologise if it came over in that
> > way.
>
> Apology accepted.
>
> > Certainly I can see a difference between shots taken on a tripod
> > and those hand-held at 1/60th or 1/125th sec, with a 35mm lens.
>
> I can't imagine what you are using for a camera, but I assure you, any shot
> I take from 1/60 up are all equally sharp, unless for some reason I moved,
> or my subject moved...  And most of the time you will be hard pressed to
> see any difference between 1/15 and up...  1/8 is 50/50.
>
> There is always going to be a distinct difference in most of the images
> taken with low shutter speeds not because of the sharpness, but because of
> the low light conditions, and flat depth of field that usually accompany
> these shutter speeds.
>
> I am quite serious, ask over on the Leica list.  PJ (Photo Journalism) is
> typically done hand held, without flash etc. and at low shutter speeds.
>  This is what the Leica excels at.  People using the M series, my self
> included, routinely shoot wide open, and at very low shutter speeds.
>
> I assure you I also know what sharp is.  I make large prints, typically
> 13x19, of my 35mm negatives, and I have a 5080 DPI scanner.  I don't like
> soft...I like sharp...

For someone so easily "insulted" your comment "I can't imagine what you
are using for a camera" is certainly "flame bait".  Anyone using an SLR
who has experience with them will tell you that getting a sharp image
using 1/60th second with anything longer than a 50mm lens is not
recommended, and likely to fail.

Obviously, you have a great deal of natural beta blockers in your body.
Your experiences (and take it as an insult, if you are so inclined) are
abnormal, even with rangefinder cameras, although they do allow for
lower shake, unless you are using short lenses.

Giving people the impression that 1/8th or 1/15th second shutter speeds
are advisable for sharp images is, if nothing else, not responsible
advice.

Art