Hi!

I, too, have a Scan Multi II and can tell you that the multipass scanning
makes a significant difference when scanning overexposed negatives or
underexposed slides.  The difference is in the noise level of the darkest
portions of the slide or the lightest portions of the reversed negative
(often the sky--- perhaps the cause of the sky grain we were seeing talked
about last month?)

With viewscan, you can multipass at least 128X (I've done it!) and
certainly, the difference between 1 pass and 16 passes is remarkable.  128
passes may be overkill (and it takes most of a night as well, at least in
medium format!)

You won't see much benefit to multiscanning on a properly exposed film,
though....

Hope this helps!

Guy Clark