It's disappointing to hear that you get this much shadow noise using the SS4000...I'm
looking to move up from the HP Photosmart S20 for this very reason.  I wonder if the
multiple scanning feature of Silverfast software (now bundled with the SS4000) can get
rid of most
of this noise?

--Evan Anderson