> I scanned it in my Scanwit at 2700 ppi, and got almost exactly what I
> expected.
> The 10 micron lines were resolved.
> The 8 micron lines looked as if they were resolved, but actually gave
> 'false resolution'.
> >From 5 microns down to 2, the lines were completely merged to a mid grey.
> FYI. The 10 micron bars represent 50 lppm, and the 8 micron ones are 63
> lppm.
>
> However, there were some tiny numbers in 2, 3 ,4 and 5 micron line widths,
> and some of these were easily legible!
> I'm a bit baffled by this. I would have though it impossible, but the
> proof is here, if anyone's interested.

But it is easy to see a single point or line much smaller than the
resolution of your system - otherwise we could not see any stars when we
look at the night sky.  The resolution limits us when we want to tell if we
are looking at one star or two stars very close together.  Astronomers often
test their eyes and telescopes by looking at known binary star pairs and
trying to resolve them.

I just made similar measurements off my Minolta ScanDual.  Looks like it is
resolving very close to it 2400 dpi limit - much better than I expected.  I
have some other test targets that I want to measure in the near future.