> Other than the number of passes setting do any of the other
> settings in Vuescan actually affect the way the scanning is
> done or does it just alter the output.

The brightness control - at least with the Nikon scanners - is the same
as the analogue gain control in Nikonscan.  It changes the integration time.
 The only other controls which changethe way the scanner scans other than
the number of passes (AFAIK) are those related to the scan area.

> My main reason for asking is if you have an underexposed slide
> and want to try to obtain more detail from shadow areas is the
> only concrete way to improve this by setting for multiple
> passes (16 for example).  Are there any settings which actually
> adjust the length of the scan or intensity of the lamp to better
> illuminate the dark areas?

The brightness control does if the scanner is capable of it.
Be aware you must rescan using Scan/Device not Scan/Memory
to see the effect of changes in the Brightness control.

Rob

Rob Geraghty [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://wordweb.com