Does anyone have experience with Polaroid's Extended Service contracts?

My SS4000 just died (again -- but just barely in the warranty period).
It looks to me that it may be worthwhile to get the contract because I
have yet to have an SS4000 live a full year.

The failure mode has always been the same -- the scanner never finishes
its intialization -- it just tries over and over and over ....

I have no idea what the average repair charge is, because so far the
repairs have been in-warranty repairs. One time (miraculously) the
scanner started working again several days later, and continued working
for 5 months. But now it's dead, and I've already waited several days
trying to get it going again.

Anyway, in some ways the "gold" level service contract looks enticing
to me because Polaroid ships out a replacement unit 2nd day air, then I
send back my scanner. Otherwise I'm looking at 2 to 3 weeks for
shipping and repair time. The possible downside is that I don't get my
old scanner back -- at least I knew what it had been through. Is the
devil you know better than the stranger you don't?

All suggestions welcome,
  --Dana