At 08:51 PM 06-11-00 -0800, you wrote:
>I'm embarrassed to have to ask this question. I brought up SilverFast for
>the first time and it is utterly beyond me how to select a specific frame,
>or how to advance to the next frame. I tried every button in the interface
>and I printed off the user manual and the documentation doesn't even mention
>how to do this. It must be so obvious that they would be embarrassed to
>state it. Nevertheless it has me completely baffled. Anyone want to give me
>a clue?
>
>Frank Paris
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=62684

No need to feel embarrassed, Frank -- it took me quite a while too.

Immediately to the left of the preview screen, there's a vertical row of
about a dozen icons.

If you look closely at the third one from the bottom, you'll see it
*slightly* resembles three rows of negatives.

Click on this, and in the screen that opens you can make thumbnails of all
negs/slides you have loaded.

Double-click on any one to select it and produce a prescan.

(I'm assuming here that you have version 5x -- I've no experience with
earlier versions.)

Since Silverfast can scan straight into PS in its native format without
passing through a .TIF first, I've found it well worth persevering with,
despite the non-intuitive learning curve (I also have Vuescan and Polacolor
Insight v4.5.1, BTW, and I'm still learning with all of them -- so far
Silverfast gives me the best images from the SS4000, whilst Vuescan seems
to shine on the Epson flatbed.)

Regards

Charles