Hi!

I use a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi with 6x7. My experience says it's good enough
for A3. I do my print by resampling the pictufres to 240 PPI in Photoshop.

The Minolta scanner has a nominal resolution of 1128 PPI, which is about 46
pixels per millimeter, making it into about 23 line pairs per millimiter this
is significantly less than what is available in a perfect 120 mm image.

Actual resolution of a scanner may be much lower, however. I have seen a test
in C't, where they calculated 135 resolution for the Scan Multi (2820 nominal)
to 1600 PPI, with the corresponding resolution for the SS 4000 to 2000 PPI.

My experience is:

- Scan Multi at 120 beat Scan Multi at 135 easily
- Partial image of 120 at full resolution is much better than full image at
1128 PPI
- 1128 PPI is good enough for A3 from (11.7" x 16.5")

Comparison is based on looking at A3 print on Ilfochrome and printout, with
at around 40-50 cm looking distance.

I had the same slides scanned on an Agfa Duoscan and the prints looked quite
similar. When looking at the scans in Photoshop the Scan Multi was
significantly sharper.

Check this page: http://home5.swipnet.se/~w-53694/html/scanners.html

Regards

Erik

--
!!!!!!!!!!!! New email address please update your address book !!!!!!!!!!
Erik Kaffehr                [EMAIL PROTECTED] alt. [EMAIL PROTECTED]