Roman wrote:
>2. win98, memturbo indicating CPU 10-35%, faster scan.
>Both images were 2700 dpi, full frame. Saved and opened in Picture
>Publisher 8 (800%) to see individual pixels.
>Can you see jaggies?

No.  But then I don't always get jaggies on my machine either.  The fact
that your LS30 has a different BIOS and Nikonscan version makes a direct
comparison difficult.  It's possible that your memory manager may help as
well.

>I am not sure if your problems are created by slow HD,low PIO/DMA.
>Anyway, I cannot repeat jaggies, even when I push CPU to the max. (BTW
it
>was Celeron 300A native, no overclocking).

I can only consistently reproduce the problem with particular images, and
then only when scanning the entire frame.  Jaggies won't occur when scanning
a small section since it doesn't load up the machine sufficiently.

>Does UDMA100 solve the problem?

I don't know.  I've had to disconnect the hard drive from the UDMA100 interface
because it was causing blue screens and other faults - not the interface
itself, but the files coming off the hard drive were being corrupted somewhere.
 I think it's because the Fujitsu drive doesn't properly support UDMA66.
 I'm going to be sending the drive back anyway since it has developed some
bad sectors, so we shall see what happens when I get the replacement.  When
I try it again I'll also disable the motherboard's onboard IDE since it
is probably contributing to the faults.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Rob

Rob Geraghty [EMAIL PROTECTED]